freelancer.com

Sunday, June 24, 2012

My Favorite Sewing Books

So far this has been a very interesting journey. I feel that I've come a long way since January, but of course I didn't get here alone. Blogs, and Youtube videos have been a major help, but most importantly, I've learned a lot of what I've come to know from sewing and knitting books. Some of my favorites are...

Singer Sewing Essentials
This is an older book that came with a collection of other Singer sewing books. What I love about this book, as well as the entire collection, is that the directions are very easy to follow and the illustrations are extremely helpful. I'm a very visual person, and this book provides what I need to in terms of being able to see how the steps are done. I also like thorough directions, which I try to give, because I believe each step is important and mistakes are made from a person not understanding and having to "fill in the blanks," Anyway, it's a very good and helpful book and it's definitely been a staple in this process of learning to sew.

http://static.artfire.com/admin/product_images/thumbs/--30000--868_product_1883732290_thumb_large.jpg

Sew Step By Step
This was the first book I purchased when I decided to pursue this hobby. It's also a book with tons of illustrations and pretty thorough directions.  At the time, all the information seemed a bit overwhelming but as I continue on and sew more I find myself coming back to this book. This is actually the book where I learned the size to cut the bias strips from my last blog. I really like it as a beginners book, and another staple it is.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51n4cUs527L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Coats and Clark Sewing Book
This is another old school book but I absolutely love it! The instructions are very easy to follow, and although the pics are in black and white, it doesn't stop this book from being completely awesome. I find myself reading this one a lot as well and this is hands down the best reference book you can have. Possibly all you need.


http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41uY+3YlewL.jpg




And these are the three that have helped me the most. Again, I just started sewing in January, and already I personally think I'm doing a pretty good job, but I give credit to these books. I feel that everyone should have at-least one of these as a staple and you can spread your wings because the fundamentals will be covered if you start with this.


On the link to the right you can click at the top on Sewmean and order any one of the books. I also have a few other favs, and a wish list of what I want to get into in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment